From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:21:52 -0500
I am amazed (tho in a funny way, reassured, in a world of strict rules) by
the laid back way our NICU handles breastmilk collection etc. Based on the
rather depressing premise that the population of our inner city hospital
will probably not sterilize religiously (I am quoting a NICU nurse here),
they do not even ask premie NICU Moms to sterilize pumping equipment more
than 'once or twice a week'. They tell them to wash out the kits between
pumping and bring in the milk in sterile bottle bags. In the hospital, we
tip out the glucose water from sterile enfanmil sample glass bottles and
put the breastmilk in there.
KNowing the bacterial resilience of breastmilk I guess this is all OK?
Well, it's been going on forever, with no apparent disasters... are other
places much stricter?
Anne Merewood