From:
Liane Varnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 07:06:25 -0800
Recent post forwarded to me via a dental hygienist from Professional Hygiene Development Services, a yahoo group of dental hygienists. By the way, the conclusion they draw is not the same as my experiences have shown me.
Pacifier-sucking and Breast-feeding
Posted by: "mmfrguson"
Mon Dec 7, 2009 4:19 pm (PST)

Pacifier-sucking and Breast-feeding: A comparison between the 1960s and the 1990s
Authors: Lindsten, Rune1; Larsson, Erik2
Source: Journal of Dentistry for Children, Volume 76, Number 3, September-December 2009 , pp. 199-203(5)

Purpose: Pacifiers and their forerunners have been condemned in past centuries, probably beginning in the 17th and 18th centuries when alcohol and opiates were incorporated as fillings in sucking rags in Great Britain . Nowadays, the modern pacifier is criticized for reducing breast-feeding time and encouraging weaning. The purpose of this study was to analyze if pacifier-sucking has been detrimental to breast-feeding in the past few decades.

Methods: In the present study, 2 groups of young children born 30 years apart (1967 and 1995 to 1997) in the same geographic area were analyzed in the first 6 months of age regarding their sucking and feeding habits, including initial and prolonged pacifier-sucking and breast-feeding.

Results: Findings do not support the commonly held opinion that pacifier-sucking reduces breast-feeding time. In the 30 years that separate the 2 groups, the pacifier-sucking habit increased by 32% and prolonged use of a pacifier increased. At the same time, breast-feeding at 6 months old has increased 20-fold in the contemporary group (born between 1995 and 1997) as compared with the 1967 group.

Conclusions: The results suggest that mothers might be unable to satisfy their child's sucking urge through breast-feeding alone, and that they use the pacifier as a supplement. Pacifier use does not negatively affect the prevalence of breast-feeding.
The miracle is this--the more we share, the more we have.
--Leonard Nimoy

Liane C. Varnes, CLC

Certified Lactation Counselor
Lactivist
Peer Breastfeeding Counselor
Georgia Public Health District 2 - WIC Program

May you be be happy; may you be healthy; may you be free from suffering; may you live with ease.