From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:03:46 -0400
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 13:47:05 -0500
From: [log in to unmask] (mary j coleman)

To: Lactnet
From: Mary Jo Coleman, RD, Lactation Educator - email:

1st time writing but felt I needed to respond to letters on pumping when
having a very ill infant, or one that has passed on.  I was such a Mother
- we knew at 28 weeks there were major heart issues, and then found out
through an amnio our second son Caleb had Trisomy 13.  No genetic
problems on either side, and our first son was perfect, and had a
wonderful nursing experience of 16 months. I held out with the grace of
God, and I delivered 2 weeks prior to due date.  Caleb lived for 9 days -
I pumped the whole while, and then pump a few more weeks, sending my milk
to a milk bank at Georgetown University.  THIS WAS GRATIFYING!  The only
control I had was that some infants somewhere were getting Caleb's milk,
and they were living through him.  I strongly encourage and recommend
that Mom's will do this, even though they are living through the worst of
circumstances.

Maybe I'm biased, knowing all the great benefits of nursing, as well as
having a deep faith in God.  Yet, I encourage all of you great teachers
and promoters of the AWESOME act of breastfeeding to also encourage this
- it is something Mom can give when she is grieving, and even get back
some of those great breastfeeding benefits to herself.

I also believe that I will be able to comfort other Moms as I develop in
my practice - actually I already have - even those that choose not to
nurse.

Thanks for the great service of Lactnet, and the opportunity to write.
Feel free to write privately to email address.

Sincerely,
MJ Coleman, RD, Lactation Educator (working hard to become IBCLC)

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
in beautiful Williston, Vermont, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html