From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:57:27 +0200
Debbie, and all y'all others,
It sounds like your employer is trying to replace its IBCLC with a book.
But they might not want a book that would actually help.  Doctors who
dictate that 'their' patients are not to hear quotes from the Breastfeeding
Answer Book are bad enough, but a hospital that takes such totalitarian
nonsense seriously is even worse.  We are talking about factual information
in an exceedingly user-friendly publication, in a modern institution that
I'm sure prides itself on its advanced use of Science and considers itself
part of the Enlightened World.  The attitude of these doctors toward both
information AND the women they are meant to serve is vaguely reminiscent of
those who issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for a work of fiction they felt
was blasphemous.  Has anyone asked the docs whether they were inspired by
that?

I am most definitely not trying to say anything whatsoever about how one
reacts to blasphemy.  I am only trying to point out that a religious
leader's judgment of a work of fiction is one thing; a medical
practitioner's opinion of factual information compiled for the support of
successful breastfeeding in the face of problems is another - or at least it
ought to be!

Meanwhile, I have great sympathy for you, Debbie.  You will undoubtedly be
called upon to use your IBCLC skills all the time in your job on L&D and
nursery, but they don't seem to want to compensate you for it.  Lousy deal.
Have you involved your professional association?

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway