From:
Attie Sandink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 08:23:25 -0500
Yes Chris, we do live in a sick, paranoid and incredibly dangerous society.
This can happen not only in dangerous LA, USA. but also in sleepy little
hospitals like Burlington Ontario, Can. or in BC.

 Although my client had been discharged, she was waiting for me to come in
and assess her breastfeeding. Just before I came in or even as I came in,
her baby was taken while she was in the washroom. There were three other
patients in the room. The Lady(emotionally quite ill) was dressed in a lab
coat and told her, through the washroom door, that she had to take the baby
to xray for one last test. The baby was slipped into a knapsack and out of
the hospital.

 Even though the baby was found and returned within 24 hours the emotional
scars do not fade fast. The parents will probably never forget. The mother
is struggling very much. Each one of us involved were affected to a greater
or lesser degree. I will always question if it would have happened if I
could have come in earlier. We are all remainded off an on about the
situation, because all those who have charted on this patient's chart are
faced with a very large law suit which the parents launched several years ago.

Sorry becoming so lengthy but this experience has left a profound effect on
me and anything that can be done to prevent or find the child  is very
important.

Attie Sandink RN.IBCLC.