From:
Susan Moxley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 23:37:58 -0300
I would like feedback from anyone who may know of research that has been
done on mothers intuition.  Some of you may remember one of my postings
about a baby who died of dehydration apparently the result of
gastroenteritis, an exclusively breastfed infant I might add.  The morning
before the baby died the mother was seen in an emergency department and she
told the physician I think my baby is going to die, however she was
reassured and the baby was discharged.  The jury made many recommendations
one of which said health care professionals should pay attention to a
mothers intuition.  In a recent medical journal a pediatrician was reported
as saying this was not a very helpful recommendation.  The mother is of
course pretty upset and is writing to the journal and would like me to say
something.  I am more concerned with the fact that this same physician
discusses the treatment of pedialyte being acceptable and then is surprised
that this mothers milk dried up just prior to the baby dying.  However, as a
mother and a nurse I believe there is a sixth sense or mothers intuition
when it comes to our children, but unfortunately if it is not measurable it
is discounted by many physicians.  What does our anthropoligist have to say?

Susan Moxley IBCLC