From:
Attie Sandink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:49:50 -0500
Nikki;
I have seen some moms buy all the right things and just not do anything with
them. It is almost like a show of real desire to please and yet not really
having the desire to do it. She may assume than that at least people who
know about these things or who will be working with her will see that she
had all the right plans in place and it still didn't work
 Whether it is done intentionally or not there probably is some underlying
cause or reason for not breastfeeding or not wanting to breastfeed after
they see the baby.

Joanne; (I was way behind on Lactnet again)
Thank for your kind words about mentoring but as I would like to say to all
who mentor the LC wannabes, that I learn so much from those committed ladies
I mentor. It does take more time to teach and explain the reasons or ask the
person who is being mentored what they might do, when all you want to do
that day is get your charting done correctly and be off on time but I find
that I have to slow down and think about the way I do things and look at my
own methods of practice, that I may have been doing for over the past 15
years or so.

Fortunately I have the luxury of being on salary. and I know that it is
definitely more difficult for those who are in private practice. However the
LC wannabees are much more committed and generally have so much more
interest in the subject of breastfeeding than the student nurses we have
follow us 3 or 4 out of the 7 days. They take much  more mental time and
energy because we want to get them encouraged and excited about
breastfeeding with the same passion we feel. Their maturity level or stage
of learning is much lower unless they are the older students who have gone
into Nursing after they have had their own children. They also have way more
on their educational plate than others and are often just trying to get
through their Maternity rotation.

I would like to hear from others who have student nurses rotate through
their clinics and how they build up the proper enthusiasm without impacting
too much on patient care. I often find this balancing act difficult.

Attie Sandink