From:
Barbara Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:24:38 -0400
Hi!

I am turning to the collective wisdom of lactnet for support and advice.  I
am the first and only LC at a hospital which delivers 4800 babies a year.
Hi!

I am looking to the collective wisdom of lactnet for support and guidance
after a difficult and frustrating week. I am the first and only LC at a
hospital that delivers 4800+ babies a year. We have a level III NICU.  I
have been in the position for a little over a year. This past year has been
spent seeing patients, developing a breastfeeding information packet for
our patients, and developing staff education.  We are in the process of
developing updated and evidence-based poloicies and protocols for
breastfeeding, pumping, cup feeding, fingerfeeding, etc.

Now for my question.  What policies/protocols do other hospitals have in
place for babies who are not feeding 24 hours after birth.  Do you
supplement via cup, fingerfeeding or bottle after 24 hours.  Is it decided
on a case to case basis based on a medical assessment of the infant? This
past week we have had a very large cluster of sleepy babies who were not
feeding 24 hours after birth.  The staff pedicatrician and I have been
discussing this very issue and are looking for evidence-based practice.

Any guidance and help is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to vacation in August.

Barbara