From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:23:40 -0500
As you know, health care professionals - especially MDs - use this phrase
to give a reasoning behind providing formula to babies in the early days.
I received a very concerned call from a nurse in a local hospital who
reported that with the arrival of a new MD (not young, just new to them),
they are now being asked to supplement babies most of the time - even with
a 5% weight loss, and no other signs of hypoglycemia, jaundice or
dehydration.

I had already noticed that more moms were having difficulty breastfeeding.
Our Public Health Nurses had reported that they were seeing a lot of total
breast refusal, and moms quitting before things could get turned around as
they would have needed to pump to increase their milk supply and provide
baby with food in other ways.

I of course sent her copies of the AAP, WHO, Model Hospital protocols from
California's Committee, as well as the guidelines in the Academy of
Breastfeeding Medicine website.
I didn't have an extra copy of the Guidelines of Evidence Based... for the
first 14 days... from ILCA, but sent her an order form so she can get it.
I also referred her to Lawrence, the US BF Committee website, and the LLLI
Physician's Conference information.

Any other suggestions?  Of course she won't be able to "hit" the MD with
all this at once, I just wanted to give her as much varied ammunition as
possible.

The reality is, many MDs are concerned because moms are discharged so
quickly and there is no set system of follow-up, though most babies are
seen by their provider within 2 days after discharge.  However, their
answer to this problem is to supplement from the beginning - giving a "win"
to the formula companies!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA