From:
"Jacqui Gruttadauria." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 01:59:06 EDT
 i love all the position ideas i am getting from these recent posts. i also
found sidelying to be the best and most effective. the hospital i birthed at
and do volunteer bfing follow-up counseling for definitely does NOT encourage
moms to sidely after birth, though. with both babies, i literally had to argue
w/ postpartum nurses that i was not going to fall asleep and smother the baby.
allowing the baby to remain in your bed while you doze off is very strictly
forbidden. i r/m telling one nurse: "i do bfing work for this hospital, i teach
moms who've had rough births and c/s births to sidely, what do you mean i
can't do it here?!" i still haven't sorted out how much was really hospital policy
and how much was personal bias/fear of smothering on the prt of individual
nurses. at any rate, it meant i did not sleep in the hospital as i would not
allow my baby (#2 - #1 was in nicu) to be removed from my body longer than was
absolutely necessary. once home, sidelying is probably the single position that
kept me nursing! esp. since i'd had no sleep in the hospital.
what i would love to glean from this list is how others of you help moms with
2 babies (or more) to lie down and nurse? since i have been nursing 2 for
over 2 years now, i get many of the moms of multiples to follow up with. i have
found what works for me, but of course i have 2 babies of very different sizes.
 for instance #2 was born when #1 was 17 1/2 mos old. i was literally able to
sidely and latch the toddler on to the breast resting on the bed, then stack
#2 on top of #1 and latch him onto the other breast. he was light enough that
my toddler did not mind. i coined the term, 'tandemstacking' to help explain
the position. of course this won't work if the toddler (or infant!) are of a
differing mind on the issue of being stacked or stackee!
i have also realized that if a mom has larger breasts (full C and bigger have
worked) she can lie flat on her back with no pillows and place a firm pillow
on each side and then also place her arms under the pillows until the babies
are at a sufficient height to latch on. this one can be tricky w/ newborns and
mom usually needs a "latch-spotter" to help the 1st couple of weeks. but it
only gets easier as the babies get bigger and it also helps enormously w/
overactive letdown, which all my moms of multiples seem to be dealing with lately!
(and once mom and babies are more adept at this, she can pull her arms out from
under the pillows and still have 2 hands free) once the babies have better
head/neck control, mom can sidely and latch one baby onto the breast resting on
the bed, then drape the other baby over her side from behind to access the
'higher' breast. this one definitely works better as the babies get older in case
everyone dozes off and the upper baby rolls off and can't situate himself
behind mom.
does anyone else have any techniques or tips for moms nursing 2 (or more) and
how they can do so lying down? these are the moms and positions i go to great
lengths to demonstrate for and explain to, b/c in my experience they are more
at risk to give up bfing sooner and are usually more exhausted! any other
creative ideas would be deeply appreciated!
~jacqui gruttadauria

"bobo, what are you doing to deedle?"
"pankin him butt, mumma"
"bobo, we don't spank in this house"