Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 05:48:59 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Just an FYI on the "foremilk vs hindmilk does not exist":    This is being taught to students in the CLC class from Healthy Children's Center for Breastfeeding. I took the class in Aug 2009, taught by Karin Cadwell and Lois Arnold.  They were excited to tell us of brand new research that had just been published showing that the "hindmilk" (creamier, higher-fat breastmilk) does not necessarily come at the END of the feeding, but may also come closer to the beginning of the feed and/or in the middle.  They said that in light of that new research, the terms "hindmilk" and "foremilk" now only apply to the point of time in the feeding.  

Unfortunately, they did not reference the study in our notebooks (maybe a more recent copy of their notes would have it) and I have never been able to find a copy of that research myself (maybe someone with subscriptions to pay-to-view journals could find it).  

So.. now you know where the students are getting the idea.  

Also.. milk from a cow also does not come out homogenized.  It is the milk processing plant that does that.  :)

Tina Carlson, PPD, CLC
IBCLC Exam Hopeful 2011

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2