From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 13:12:03 EST
In a message dated 3/6/2004 10:25:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
I'm still really interested in hearing how the collective you:) deal
with a hungry baby....one who's weight is 'normal' (not low or high),
who is nursing well but who is just really letting everyone know that
he's hungry.
Kathy, I do not believe the newborn is hungry (at least not hungry for food)
but wanting to suck.
With the average intake for the newborn on day one being 7-15 mls and then on
day 2 10-30 mls, these would not be intakes for a "starving baby."
I've written this before and do not have the research to back it but newborns
don't feel well.  When one does not feel well we cope in different ways.  For
the newborn sucking is a great way to feel better.  Even better than just
sucking, to do this at mommy's breast, which now offers good food, good smells,
warmth, sounds, and security.
I really would like to change this whole mind set on the newborn and allow
them free and frequent access to mommy's breast and take the word "starving" out
of any content.
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA