From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:15:03 -0400
Purely anedotal/observational:

I have been a La Leche League Leader for almost 27 years and have been
attending meetings for almost 29 years. We do get a self-selected group of
people who are very motivated to breastfeed, so the women with severe
psychological problems preventing lactation are probably ruled out. By my
calculations (an average of 20 women at a meeting each month, plus all the
phone helping and home visits I do) at least 7 or 8,000 women in that time.

By my estimate, I would say that the number of women I have worked with who
are truly physically not able to lactate is less than one percent. Maybe
half of one percent. Some of those who I would have said fit that category
in the past might well have been helped by Domperidone, which we weren't
using 25 years ago!

It may move up closer to 5% if we include the women who get off to such a
bad start due to mismanagement - that they are not able to "turn things
around." But that's a different category.

Just my observation.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario