Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:36:42 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Sam mentions the frustrations of "getting things done" in that first hour of birth in a hospital.  How sad in this modern day and age we are still using the task orientated model of nursing/midwifery care instead of patient orientated care.  The academics of the nursing profession 20 - 30 years ago went to great lengths to try and strip hospitals of these old fashioned practises.  And of course, in the midwifery model of care, the emphasis is on woman centred care. And central to the woman, is her baby.

I understand how difficult this must be for baby friendly staff to do without the support of their managers.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a worldwide protocol that no baby leave it's mother's body for the first hour of life (except those that need respiratory support - and don't start me on that one as I see too many screaming babies being "resuscitated"!).  But hey!  There is a worldwide protocol!  It is called step 4! 

Perhaps we should set timers in birthing rooms for 60 minutes and staff have to wait until the beep goes off before they can touch the baby !  Perhaps there is a good use for clocks in breastfeeding.  We just have to apply some lateral thinking.

Karen Palmer
Midwife and IBCLC
New Zealand

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2