From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:22:13 -0500
This kind of test weighing is not accurate as was done in the pedi
office. I would hope that when you did an LC consult, you did test
weights yourself on a good or appropriate scale. That is what needs to
be done instead of guessing and messing around. If baby has an oral
motor issue, it is often going to look like excellent sucking, and you
even hear smacking and swallowing, but the intake is poor for all the
effort.

My other idea is perhaps baby is not eating often enough. If baby truly
took in 2 ounces at the breast, a baby this size needs to be eating 12
or 13 times in 24 hours. Two ounces times 8 feedings is only 16 ounces
which would make him lose weight. I find that SNSs don't work with oral
motor issues very well, as baby is just not able to suckle well.

I have worked with many babies who can only removed something low, like
maybe 1.5 ounces before their mouths quit working right. I know this
from doing multiple test weights on a scale accurate to 2 grams that
weighs down to 3 ml. These babies do not gain weight properly.

I am sorry if I sound rude about the scale but  so many of these Lactnet
posts have everyone guessing and coming up with odd theories when really
the first issue needs to be assessment of how much baby is removing at
the breast. (And please.... let's not get into that inane argument about
how using scales is inaccurate.)

If baby takes in a good amount with you but then is not gaining weight,
have mom do several test weights over a day. I have worked with too many
oral motor problems where baby looks good at the breast, but removes a
low quantity of milk for the effort exerted and at some point, usually
after 10-20 minutes of sucking starts to remove NO milk with what looks
and sounds like perfect sucking.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC