From:
Joe & Sue Cowcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 18:10:06 +0800
Hi Catherine,
I know that here in Australia, MIT's (medical imaging technologists) wear
film badges to monitor any radiation they are exposed to, anything above the
set standard would be looked into. I feel sure that they would probably have
a similar set up in USA, Nuclear Medicine would be the same. You wouldn't
work in that field if you were excessively or unnecessarily exposed to
radiation. Precautions are drummed into you throughout training and later at
work. I'm wondering that if  her body exposure is within set standards her
breastmilk would be okay too. There are guidelines for mothers who have an
investigation using radiopharmaceuticals. Interruption of breastfeeding
depends on what is used and also the physiology of the mother, that is when
you actually have the stuff injected into you! One study also concluded that
you could continue close contact with your baby.
There must be a Radiation Health type department or even her own work
registered body that would be able to give her more info for her situation.
Hope I've been of some help
Alaska is high on my list of places to get to!!
regards
Sue Cowcher, (Esperance, Western Australia)