From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:31:50 +0000
We are indeed a global village!   And lact-net appears to be the tea
rooms of the lactation global village.  I'm just amazed that the posting
of La Teta, created The Gentlest  Touch, and both are on
breastfeedingbabies, before awareness of this connection arose.  :-)

I'm off for two weeks on Saturday, and so will attend to all this when I
return.  I'm in contact with the producer and director of La Teta, and I
think a blog article of how it came about, and the inspired the
Hungarian one, is required!  Tanya, I'll be in touch next month.  :-)

Incidentally, I'd been unaware you needed to click to see La Teta since
the banner appeared, as I don't have to from the main account.  What is
fascinating about this, is that some of you will remember me stating
that 'breastfeeding toddler' has always had a hate campaign upon it, yet
La Teta had escaped so far, and I'd wondered if the 'official' nature of
La Teta, was part of it.  Yet here we are now - toddler video with over
10 million hits, and no 'click cover' and La Teta with less than a
million and you need to click to see it.

I cannot imagine how many lactaphobes have thus targeted La Teta, in
order to achieve this.  I know I get emails from the group leaders,
telling me - in hateful and female body hating language - that they are
doing so: undertaking concerted campaigns to force youtube to remove the
channel.  One group used children to make the complaints - getting
children to complain with "I'm a child, and I shouldn't have to see
this..."  Perhaps we need to ask people to complain that La Teta has a
click cover now, and see what happens.  Personally, I appreciate that
youtube has never bothered me with their problems over this bigotry, and
find the click cover on La Teta highly amusing: guaranteed to make more
people look!

What is very pertinent however, is that as we fight to protect
breastfeeding, and to raise the awareness of breastfeeding as an
everyday, everywhere activity, others to rise up in opposition, and
complain and actively try to close down both the dialogue, and normal
everyday images of breastfeeding.  I know that various activities I'm
in, in breastfeeding protection, such as the youtube site, put me in
direct contact with the worse of the lactaphobes, and their attitudes to
woman, their bodies and their babies... but it is important that we do
keep signalling that this genuine hate is out there.  It's not hidden,
it's just that many of us never stray into it's path.  But once you have
me it, you can't ignore it.

The more successful we become on impacting upon breastfeeding rates and
awareness, in some pockets of the global village, the more vocal the
hatred will become.  We just need to be aware of it, put it to one side,
and move on!  It will die off as unreasonable, in the light of everyone
else going "Oh,. look at the pretty baby feeding, isn't that lovely."  :-)

http://one-of-those-women.blogspot.com/2008/08/lactaphobia.html

http://one-of-those-women.blogspot.com/2009/02/lactaphobia-language-of-hate.html

Morgan Gallagher

(Who needs to get off the net and start packing!)