From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 12:03:40 EDT
     Last month at the LLL conference Elizabeth Baldwin
J.D. presented an interesting session about
breastfeeding and custody.  She lives in the Miami
area, is the director of LLL's Legal Associates
Program, and a member of LLLI's Professional advisory
board.  According to the handout she is available to
consult in legal cases involving breastfeeding and
custody.  There is a very nice article, with many
references, that she wrote:
Is Breastfeeding really a visitation issue? pages 84-87
in the Fall 1993 issue of Mothering. (vol. 68)
There is also a one page article by her husband,
Kenneth A. Friedman, who is also an attorney.
"Visitation and the Breastfeeding Child" Mothering,
Fall 1993, vol. 68, p. 88.  I imagine that her
telephone number is available through LLLI.

     About extremely sore nipples:  Has anyone used or
heard about the use of the UV lamp/ sunlamp that was
used 20 years ago for very sore nipples.  It seemed to
work for many mothers.

     Sore nipples - modern treatment:  I heard Shirley
Himeback LLLI, IBCLC at the New Jersey LLL conference
in 1994 describe a moist wound healing soaking
procedure that seems to work very well.  Shirley told
me this year that she has a reference for this but it
is buried somewhere in my conference notes.  I have
recommended it to several mothers with cracked,
bleeding nipples and the feedback has been positive.
This procedure does not use lanolin, but I would
imagine that lanolin at the end of the treatment might
help even more.

MOIST WOUND HEALING PROTOCOL
1.  Using small paper cups soak nipples in warm water
for 5 minutes before nursing.
2.  Position baby properly and carefully - well flexed
football hold is often the best position.
3.  After nursing soak again using a solution of half
warm water and half peroxide.  DO NOT USE COMPRESSES.
Use new, clean cups for each soaking.
4.  Blot dry and massage expressed colostrum/breastmilk
into nipple.
5.  Continue until healed.
Hope

Hope that this helps.