From:
Dana Gunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:40:22 -0500
Thank you Carla for responding to my questions.  It is a good idea to
introduce myself on Lactnet.  I am not very familiar with the procedure of
chats etc.

My name is Dana and I am from London, Ontario, Canada.  My background is
Business Marketing and Nutrition.  I am now taking a Breastfeeding course
through Mohawk College in Hamilton, Ontario to become a Lactation
Consultant in the London area.  On a personal note, I have a darling 6
month old son.  The apple of my eye, along with my husband!  It took me 8
days to get him to latch on.  I stayed in the hospital extra time and still
left to come home with my baby who was eating out of tubes and cups.  I did
not give up and we are now breastfeeding with no problems.  He is now 17
1/4 lbs at 6 months.

It raised my interest to the challenges of breastfeeding and the support
available in the community.   I found that the one-on-one support of a
lactation consultant who came to my home to help me 6 days in a row was so
much more successful then me and my newborn going to a clinic.  (nothing
wrong with the clinics though!!!!)

Therefore, it has opened my eyes and heart to a new career, helping others
and helping babies get the best start in life!--being breastfed.

Thanks for your support with my questions.  I had referenced 4 textbooks, 2
videos and the internet and was a little challenged by these points.

Dana