From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:57:49 -0800
***Sometimes using the flat side of an electric toothbrush over a superficial duct plug in the breast helps them break up, a poor man’s ultrasound therapy. -Amy Evans, California ****

Ever since I saw the new anatomy of the inside of the breast, I've been encouraging moms with plugged ducts or lumps in their breast to use this method or just "vibrate" the area with their fingers prior to trying to hand express.  (After WARM compresses - one mom just told me last night at our La Leche League Meeting that she puts a towel on her breast then uses the shower to pulse the hottest water she can tolerate).  Now that we know that the ductwork isn't all in one direction, but sometimes takes a "U Turn" it may be helpful for moms to try to "loosen" the area and then allow the plug to move UP or DOWN towards the nipple.

I used that method and some hand expression to help a mom whose one breast only had milk coming from 3 ducts - the rest of the breast was HARD and FULL - but using the hot water shower, gentle massage with an electric toothbrush and then hand expression - a very LOOONG string - with bumps as if it were shaped along the anatomy of the duct - came out. (Sure wish I had taken a picture!)  After that, I believe the baby removed the rest of the plugged areas, because she had some nice streams coming out in a couple of days, as well as a MUCH more comfortable breast!

Jeanette Panchula
Vacaville, CA