From:
JeannIBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:06:33 EDT
Martha,
You are absolutely right.  Our babies don't need products.  And I am uneasy
every time I feel a mother is getting the message that she must have a product
in order to breastfeed.

But, my main concern with gift packs is not the formula inside them.  It is
the product recognition.  Mothers go home with the cute teddy bear or the
darling peter rabbit.  In their sleep-deprived early postpartum period, they
go to the grocery store and immediately seek out the product who's logo they
recognize.

I don't think the formula companies care a whole heck of a lot if nurses take
out the formula.  Every time the mother pulls the bag out to get a diaper, she
is reminded of the product she'll see in the stores.  When I see moms'
discharge bags now, I know I'm being given a subtle advertisement, too.

Product recognition.  Like the check mark on NIKE.  You see the check mark,
you say, "Just Do It."

I'm still steamed about the 4-foot Peter Rabbits "someone" has left in the
nursery window where all the parents and visitors can see ithem when they walk
past.  Interestingly, every hospital has one....
Jeanne Mitchell
Austin, TX