Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:18:25 -0500
Might I suggest that a mental health advocate be sought out and introduced
into this situation? A mental health advocate and an IBCLC working together
on this might get some better communication going between the docs and this
mom. If the pediatrician can be convinced to monitor the baby, his/her
opinion should also be made part of the equation.  I feel that I'm hearing
here that people think this woman is incapable of making any kind of
rational decision (because she is having a schizophrenic-type breakdown)
when often this simply is not true that ALL of her thoughts are irrational
at this point. (I've seen people do things like win chess matches at the
masters level during such episodes, or write short stories, etc.)Mentally
ill does not mean stupid, nor does it mean exclusively incompetent (even
during a breakdown/episode), nor does it mean that her rights can be easily
taken away. They can give her the information about the drug, but often the
decision is up to her unless they have her legally declared incompetent. Her
first rational decision is one that her baby should be breastfed and that
she should do it. Unfortunately, that decision is not being viewed as
rational even by the people from whom she's expecting support. We know very
well the effect this has on people who aren't having a breakdown, just
imagine the effect on someone who is...sort of like being kicked when you're
down. Now, she may have to make some compromises in the end, (some women on
Haldol breastfeed part-time to keep their docs happy) but she's less likely
to do that if she feels that others are trying to control her. In a society
where formula is NOT an option, this child would be breastfed one way or
another.  In this respect, this woman has chosen normalcy, but that normalcy
might be judged as being *abnormal*. It's terribly difficult to get people
to really listen to those in this position and it's really easy to ruin
thier self-esteem and their lives by not doing so.

Climbing down from my soapbox,
Lorri Centineo
20 year veteran advocate for the mentally ill.