From:
Marilyn Fergus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:51:29 -0500
permission to post Havea mother who is 46, concieved with donor eggs twins,
has been pumping since thursday 1/31. Has just started to make 3-5ml per
pumping session which gives me hope.However told me this am she had
implants 20 yrs ago in her words"behind the mammary glands". Any advice I
can give her I think she will probably need a SNS when the babies go to breast.
We have time before they will be feed  since they are just 30wks.
Just one more question for all of you . How are you collecting the colostrum
to be taken to the nursery or NICU. We are using 1ml syringes and then going
up from there. I can find no smaller bottles that will fit the pump,than those
we get from the formula companyl  for direct pumping. We use a silicone cup
that comes from the company that makes our pumps. Insert it into the bottle
and thus we can draw up the small amounts the mother makes in the first days
form the little cup.
There has been questions about giving syringe for this purpose to mothers
since we care for a diverse population. NIcu is now happy to get them or
should I say some in NICU arre happy.
Had been at Rush here in Chicago to hear Paula Meier talk on breast pumping
and they use the first small amounts for mouth care on all of the infant even
the ones that are NPO. Haven't been able to findany more inofmation on this.
Anyone else doing this
Thanks for any help
Marilyn Fergus RN,IBCLC,RLC