Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:14:32 EST
<< I try (it's like a mantra with me) to always bear in mind that I'm there to
 help her be the best mother she can be to that baby. If that includes
 working to make bfing work for her, we're both lucky, 'cause that's what I
 do for a living. If it turns out that what she wants is mostly support of a
 different kind, I do my best to give it, knowing that any way I can
 strengthen this mother's sense of self-value will empower her to be the best
 parent she can be.

Well said Cathy.  I like the way you think. Sometimes when I'm working with a
mom on breastfeeding, she tells me what she thinks I want to hear in support
of brF.  Then I hear from other staff members that she will tell them
something different after I leave.  It is difficult in the hospital situation
to get to know what these moms really need from me. My partner & I visit all
the brF moms (they don't necessarily ask for our help), have a limited amount
of time to see them and almost no time for follow up. They are given a phone
number to call if they have questions & we do some outpt. visits.  This is
such a complex issue-we can educate, offer support & advice, but we can't
always get inside the mom's mind to know what she really needs from us.

Laura Hart, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Staff nurse & lactation consultant
Winter Park, FL . . . where I am enjoying the beautiful warm weather, but
can't help feeling a little envious when I hear about the beautiful silent
snowfall that is covering the Northeast. (I grew up in Albany, NY & Richmond,
VA)