From:
Denise Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 09:16:50 -0400
I had a call this week from a couple who is expecting their first baby in
January.  MOther had a lumpectomy for a malignant lump removed from one
breast recently.  Doctors felt very confident that everything was removed and
are not doing any treatment until after the baby was born.  At that time they
want to do radiation on the affected breast.

Question:  How would this affect the breast that does not have cancer?
  Would it be possible to breastfeed only on the one breast?  How much "fall
out" would there be from the radiation treatments?  How long would that last?

The only references I can find are not definitive or refer to breastfeeding
subsequent babies after radiation.  Does anyone know of any information,
references would be most appreciated.

Denise Parker, BA, IBCLC (La Crescenta, CA)