From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 07:59:54 -0500
Vince and Larry are the crash-test dummies you see in commercials.

Safety Belt Education Campaign, Radio, The Department of Transportation and
the Advertising Council, January 1995, used with permission.

"Larry's Lament"

Announcer: Here with a message for younger and more sensitive passengers,
Vince and Larry.

Vince:  (SINGS) My precious pet said "Don't forget Tommy's care seat when you
go."  But I paid no mind, and now I find, there's one thing I must know . . .

Larry:  (SINGS) Do little angels have car seats in their chariots in heaven?
If my angel used his here on earth, today he would be seven.  I didn't think
to buckle him in, just goin' into town.

Chorus: He's on the highway up to heaven.

Larry:  I'm on the road that goes straight down.

Chorus: Forget the safety seat.

Larry:  You're on a one way street,

Vince:  That only goes straight down.

Announcer:  A message from The Department of Transportation and the Ad Council.

Me talking: Nothing wishy-washy about that message.  If you don't put your
child in his car seat ONCE, you WILL have an accident, your child WILL die,
and you WILL GO TO HELL.

And now, one of my favorite quotes, by the late and dearly missed Dr. Oski:

"Seriously, guilt or no guilt is not the issue.  The issue for me is what is
best for babies.  If the truth makes mothers feel guilty and they develop
some anxiety, perhaps the discomfort will tip the scales in favor of
breastfeeding."  --Frank Oski

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University