Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 23:39:59 EDT
Dr Lauren Garrettson, director of the Georgia poison center and extraordinary
breastfeeding advocate is retiring from Emory University officially June
30th, however the party is @ Grady Monday 6-28.  He has spoken on Drugs in
Breastmilk for all of Georgia's WIC district workshops, for the Emory
breastfedding conferences and was one of our biggest supporters as Grady
tried to get lactation services started in 1985.  I have many but one of my
most fondest memories is of his assistance with a breastfeeding woman (33
years old) who had a heart attack.  After the code, I was pumping her
engorged breast while Dr Garrettson was calculating molecular weight of all
the cardiac drugs that were used then and that she would have to continue to
use.  She was able to continue to breastfeed.  He would also call physicians
all over Georgia and Tennessee at the request of an LC when the MD
inappropriately stop a mother from breastfeeding due to a medication.  We
will experience a huge void when Dr Garrettson leaves and goes to open his
Bed and Breakfast in Maine.
Kim Bugg
Atlanta