From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:44:03 -0600
 I can empathize with this Mom as I am one of those lucky women who gains
instead of loses weight while nursing.  You get tired of being larger than
you would like but IMHO it's more important to nurse your baby.  The weight
can come off once you wean, whenever mom and baby decide it's time
(hopefully later instead of sooner).  It's a lot easier for me to lose
weight when I'm not nursing.

I have a friend who is an Herbalife Distributor. This information is from
her product information.  She says she has had nursing moms on this
program.  I've tried it myself for one day.  My youngest, Christina, was
incredibly fussy-very irritable.  My friend seemed to think it was that the
herbal tablet product altered the taste of my milk.  Now, considering that
I eat almost anything under the sun and nothing I've ingested has bothered
any of my children before, I find her theory unlikely.  I think it was one
of the ingredients in the tablets as the shakes did not bother her once I
eliminated the tablets..

The Weight Management Products this Mom is referring to is called
Thermojetics, which includes using an Herbal shake concentrate and herbal
tablets, called "green & beige".  According to the company literature,
nursing mothers can use this product.  They also need to "ensure they
consume at least 1000 calories a day and increase fluid intake.  After 6
months (if still nursing) add Kindermins [a  liquid children's vitamin]".
I'll spare you my editorial comments on this statement!

The "Green" tablets contain Chinese Ma Huang, Bladderwrack, Yerba Mate,
Valerian Root, Purple WIllow, Fumitory Herb, Papain and Coating Color:
FD&C Blue No. 1 Lake.

The "Beige" tablets contain Hawthorn Berry, Cascara Sagrada, Uva Ursi,
Alfalfa, Cornsilk, Parsley, Marshmallow Root, Magnolia Bark, Pau d'Arco,
Pfaffia Paniculata, Astragalus (Bai Chi), Fennel Seed, Golden Rod and
Licorice.

Perhaps one of our resident herbalists can tell us more about the
ingredients.

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources  http://www.childbirth.org/bbfr
Manhattan, KS  USA