From:
Holly McSpadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2015 16:32:36 -0400
Jeanette writes:

"I'm so sorry, Holly, that this discussion is depressing you!  I find it exhilarating when people with a variety of knowledge and experience share their information".

Based on the number of posts and e-mails, (both on and off this list) that I generated with my half-baked rant I feel the need to clarify that it is not this discussion that is depressing me. What depresses me is the disaster that human beings have created that requires us to expend such tremendous amounts of energy and time simply to feed and nourish our young.

In my defense, for those of you who do not know me personally, I came to the lactation field like many in the 70's and 80's via La Leche League. I remember when we lactation consultants were still saying "My goal is to work myself out of a job" My first breastfeeding conference I attended was in Atlanta Ga. and Maureen Minchon was the speaker. I have never looked back, and I am still learning every day from people like Jennifer who are on the "cutting edge" of research. On a personal note , I am a devout practitioner of Ayurvedic Medicine, an avid porponent of a cleaner environment and organically grown foods, and a lung cancer survivor. I have breastfed 2 children.  (one for less than a year and one for 4 years). I fight every day for mothers who are getting gross misinformation about breastfeeding. I routinely send babies for body work and other alternative therapies, and I continue to enthusiastically attend (and speak at) webinars and conferences.  I keep on because I love what I do, but I am getting old and tired...:))  Sometimes selling flowers sounds very appealing to me...(I'm better today!!)

Warmly,

Holly McSpadden