From:
DANI HUDSPETH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 10:47:05 -0600
I found out yesterday that several of our NICU nurses have read the Ezzo's book and at least two of them are attempting to implement the practices.  One of the nurses is having to supplement with ABM now because her milk supply is not enough for baby's increasing needs - go figure...  The other nurse cannot stand to let her baby cry for longer than just a few minutes - thank God.  Now one nurse is 36 weeks into pregnancy and I saw her reading the book yesterday - that is how I found out that others were using it also. This is a sticky situation - I can only lead the horse to the trough, can't make it drink.  We have 150 nurses!!  I am concerned that some of this Ezzo parenting will be passed on to our patients by well meaning nurses.  I try to promote attachment parenting and tell parents about Dr. Sears' books.  Several of our pregnant and already delivered nurses say "no way" to their babies sleeping with them - they are convinced that this will decrease their own sleep time when they have to return to work - a valid concern.  I have explained several times about how sleeping with your baby can promote faster regulation of baby's day/night cycles because the baby coregulates with the mom's biorhythms.  Have any of you found that sleeping with your baby deprived you of more sleep than having to get up more often to see why baby is fussing?  The one nurse whose baby does sleep through the night is the one who has to supplement with ABM.  Got any ideas on education for such a large group?  Also, I don't want to cause guilt for the ones who have already implemented Ezzo's advice, but I want to let them know that there is another way that could be less traumatic and certainly more breastfeeding friendly.  Article references would be wonderful, and your personal thoughts valued!!

Thanks!!
Dani Hudspeth BSN, RN, IBCLC