Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2013 16:34:01 +0000
>Hi.  We are a very visitor friendly OB department!  We are planning
>to start having a "Quiet Time" for the 1st 1-2 hours after delivery.
>All of the nurses are fine with this and we know that most patients
>will also be very happy with it.  We depend quite heavily on patient
>satisfaction these days, especially because that is how we are
>reimbursed by insurance.  Anyway, the nurses are concerned about how
>to handle the patients that actually want lots of visitors post
>birth.  My question is for those of you that have this quiet time
>after birth.  Do you ever have any negative feedback about it from
>pateints?  If so, how do you handle it?  Did you find that, overall,
>your patient satisfaction went up when you started a quite time?
>Thanks for your input!  :)

Gosh, that sounds hard!

I think it is *monstrous* for mothers to have any visitors (apart
from the baby's father, or her mother....one person, only, anyway) in
the first hours after birth.

How dreadful for people to be trooping in and gawping, during a time
which absolutely should be quiet and peaceful.  They probably all
want to hold the baby too, and have photographs done. Ugh.

Is it not possible for the department to have rules about this? This
is not a free choice, but the RULE?

Various experiences with several elderly relatives this year in
hospital, including at the end of life, have acquainted me with
hospital rules and the need for peace and quiet and restricted
visiting, supported by RULES which the nursing staff politely
enforce, for the good of everyone.

Maybe we Brits are more docile, but we usually obey the Rules. No
more than x visitors at a time (usually 2 or 3), no visitors outside
the hours of x and y (apart from when someone is sitting by someone
dying).

If someone wants a lot of visitors, well, sorry, they can't have 'em.
The RULE in this Unit says 'no'. You don't like it? Well.......tough!

I'm guessing that's not possible?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK