From:
Lynne Norder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:44:45 +0000
Dear Robyn,
This is my first time posting to LACTNET, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your frustration.  I just took my LC course last month and am trying to find ways to get hours and experience (I am a social worker, so no work experience here).  I know another woman also on the path to become an IBCLC and between the 2 of us we have called EVERY IBCLC that we can find in our area (Denver, CO metro area) and not one single person is willing to even let someone come shadow for a day, let alone mentor!  In fact, many LC's we have spoken to have been downright discouraging of us even pursuing this path, saying things such as, "You'll never work without your RN anyway, so you should just go back to school now or not even bother (with IBCLC)".  The one person who might have been willing initially later said her hosp admin refused due to HIPAA.  WIC in this area is not interested unless you are fluent in Spanish.  It is so frustrating and I am beginning to think it was all a waste of time and money for me to start down this path!  I agree with you that more formal programs with standardized education and internship would be beneficial, especially to those of us not already nurses - it might help to lend us some "legitimacy" in the eyes of others?  Please, if you come up with any resolution to this dilemma, be sure to post - I will surely do the same!  Feel free to e-mail privately if you'd like to commiserate!
Your partner in frustration -
Lynne Norder

Why?  If the consensus of opinion, as I see it on Lactnet, is that there
must be a standard of learning and certification in place for IBCLC's,
and Union/Healthy Children is one of the first to offer a standard
pathway with schooling and Internship. And after reading  "The Lactation
Consultant in Private Practice" where it is mentioned a number of times
that any aspiring LC's should be mentored and serve an Internship...and
it states explicitly to PPLC's already in practice to take on students
LC's, are NO IBCLC's willing to take on a student and mentor her?

It is so very frustrating, I want to learn and become proficient and yet
there are roadblocks at every turn...and from the very professionals I
had hoped would be thrilled to help me out. Is this merely a San Diego
problem or is this more widespread?

Any insight out there on this issue?

Robyn Roche-Paull
LLLL & CLC San Diego