From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 23:46:18 -0500
In my opinion, it is important to restrict potential allergens in
families with high risk for atopic diseases.  In other words, if either
the mother or the father (and most importantly if both) have a history of
eczema, asthma or hay fever, their child is much more likely to have
allergy problems than the general population.  It seems unreasonable to
impose restrictions on all pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.  After
all, there are many foods that have been known to cause anaphylactic
reactions in a few people, and I'm not aware of peanuts causing being a
worse culprit than any of the other allergenic foods (I'll try to check
with an allergist on this).  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]