From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 17:22:20 -0500
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi All,  Heather said,
In all these scenarios, historical and contemporary, my view is we
are talking about aspects of patriarchy, pure and simple.

I have to agree with you Heather.  I attended Bible College and was married
to a minister for 16 years (not any more) and consider myself *something* of
an expert on the Bible and there is certainly nothing in that book that
prohibits breastfeeding in any way.  I remember thinking how curious it was,
as I sat in church nursing my kids, that I was the only one in our church
who breastfed.  Of course, that was 2 decades and more ago, but it goes
against logic to think that such a system, designed by a creator, should be
discouraged as being somehow wrong.  It is more a reflection, IMO, of
culture and some man-made ideas about what is right and what is wrong.  Like
the arguments the Ezzos use to support their parent-scheduled feeding regime
which they base on a convoluted (IMO) interpretation of the Bible.  People
will always twist the meaning of things to fit their own agenda and I think
we have proof of that throughout history.  Bottom line for me is that there
is nothing in the Bible I read that does anything but support breastfeeding.
Maybe support is the wrong word.  It's just presented as a matter of course.
Because it was.  The normal way to feed a baby/young child.  BTW, Michel
Odent has a very thought-provoking scenario at the end of his book, The
Scientification of Love, where he walks us through his idea of how Mary gave
birth to Jesus and began breastfeeding.  It is lovely and worth the read!

Marsha