From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 23:36:32 -0700
Ann -- I took this course from Karin and Edith, last year in Florida.  It is an excellent program.  People in the class ranged from experienced  breast-feeding teachers to neophytes.  There were RNs, RD's, WIC counselors, people with private practices, doulas, birthing center people -- you name it, we probably had it.  Very current information, aiming at taking the myths out of breastfeeding, and leaving the facts.  Very well bibliographed.  Karin and Edith are warm and knowledgeable speakers -- both have long experience on a lot of levels of breastfeeding, being allied with several east-coast hospitals and research institutes, and being allied with the Healthy Baby 2000.

At the end of the course, you are entitled to call yourself CLC.  You are also well prepared for taking the IBCLC exam.  I have talked with many women here in SF who have taken this course, at various times, at various locations, and all agree it is an opportunity to take advantage of.   In fact, Kaiser Hospital is sponsoring them June 2 - 6, open to others besides Kaiser employees.  I'm sorry that I myself will be out of town, and won't be able to renew my acquaintance with these women, and sit in and refresh my memory.

Yes, it is expensive.  Every/any certification course is.  But if you look at
the number of hours you put in, it's your basic $10-15 per CEU.  There
are several equivalent courses that I've seen advertised, some thru UCLA
and other schools, and they are equally expensive.    To take a college
course for three hours a week, for a semester, you would pay about as
much or more, and it would be almost the same amount of class time.

Have I sold you on this program, yet?  No, I am not reimbursed for this
plug.  I truly believe these are wonderful instructors, who are teaching
from not only a wide academic base, but also from extensive hands on
experience.  When I attended this course, I thought I knew a lot about
breast feeding -- after all, I've been teaching other moms to breast feed for
 25 years.  The course was a wonderful encapsulation of all the new literature and understandings about breast feeding.  And I learned plenty,
as well as gathering ammunition (articles, etc.) to back up positions I already held.

I believe that they have been "awarded" IBCLC standing, as opposed to sitting for the exam.  In recognition for their many years of service and study, their affiliations and the fact that they help write the exam.  But I could be wrong about that.

Sincerely,  Chanita, San Francisco