From:
Luann Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 07:36:16 -0400
Forgive me for not noting who asked but I thought this might be
applied to other hospitals as well. We use 20 cc syringes - most
mothers find them to work well, although once I needed to use a
50 cc size for a mother with unusually large nipples! They are
very difficult to make with scizzors as they leave a rough edge
even though we use the flanged edge to actually ease out the
nipple. We now send a case of 20 cc syringes to our engineering
department and have them chop the ends off for use with some
unknown piece of equipment they have. This gives the syringes a
more uniform edge and it is not as dangerous - and because they
are readily available, are used often. Legally - haven't thought
of the issues here, although with good handwashing and care
which is taught, to moms, is there really a big issue here? Just
fyi - and by the way I've only been on the LACTNET a week and
LOVE it!!!