From:
francisfam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:39:30 -0800
If the baby is capable of oral feeds, why use a bottle instead of the breast?  Is it because the mother is not available, or because the baby's suck is not good at the breast?  Or is it maternal preference in an attempt to speed up discharge?   The solution would depend upon the reason for the artificial feeds.  If the problem is the baby's suck, cup feeding won't fix it.  Sometimes a nipple shield does a good job improving suck.   We are  going to do a small-sample study using the breastbottle.  HMMmmmm!  We'll see.  The flow is wonderfully slow from those "bottles".
Deanne RN  IBCLC
NICU