From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:18:35 +1000
Hmm, I'll have to do some further digging. You may well be right. I agree with you also that weight gain is not necessarily an indicator of a woman's milk making ability, at the very least it does not take into account infant factors that may result in poor milk transfer. It is however, a very important part of the picture.
BTW the Neifert paper also analyses their data according to a minimum weight gain of 140g per week, a level at which I think that more here would be confident in saying that there is a decent probability that something is going wrong and needs investigating. At this level and using weight gain as a proxy for milk making capacity, 11% of women in the study were determined to have incapacity to fully breastfeed. I wish that there was more research in this area!
Karleen Gribble
Australia