From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:56:09 -0700
This is something I have wondered about since I started Julia nursing, 13
years ago.  She'd had horrible constipation, so bad that she had a nasty
fissure that broke open and bled quite often.  The first two months I had
her (she was placed for adoption with me at six and a half months old), it
was really bad.  After we moved to Utah, I met a neighbor who was nursing
her daughter and kept a supply of her milk in the freezer, much of which she
didn't use, so she donated that to Julia.  For the next several months,
Julia got about a four ounce bottle of the frozen milk every day.  The
constipation was a little better, during that time, but not much.  However,
when I finally got her to take my breast, with the Lact-Aid, at one year
old, the constipation went away and never came back.  At that age, she was
only nursing two or three times a day.  I estimated that she got about two
ounces of breast milk from me, at each feeding, so she was getting a
comparable amount to the frozen milk she had been getting previously.   Of
course, that is only one case, but I have wondered if there was some kind of
change in the milk, caused by freezing, that would have made a difference,
as far as the effects on her bowels.  Has anyone else worked with any babies
with chronic constipation, who were getting alot of their breastmilk frozen?
  Perhaps it would be best for some moms who do alot of pumping at work to
keep their milk refridgerated instead of frozen.

Just a thought!

Darillyn