From:
Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 21:57:17 -0700
I had an unusual call today.  Mom has 2 year old and 4 month old. Nursed the two year old until pregnant with the second child, had a lot of bleeding during pregnancy and MD suggested weaning him, which she did.
Now she has a lot of milk and has offered to nurse the little 2 year old again, but he has forgotten how. But he has had surgery three times for gastrointestinal problems and has a slow growth pattern so she decided to pump breast milk for him.  She pumps about 16 ounces a day for him, and gives it to him in a cup.  But she mixes it with chocolate syrup.  She wants to know if this is okay. She says he cannot tolerate whole cows milk, and does not like the breast milk "plain".  I thought I had read somewhere that the calcium from milk is less absorbable when mixed with chocolate. She wants to know if the milk is still good for him.  I told her it was still good, but wonder if it is as absorbable?  Any takers on this one?

Ann Calandro, RNC, IBCLC
Piedmont Medical Center
Rock Hill, SC