Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:48:37 +0800
On 22/11/2006, at 4:18, Sara D. Roos wrote:

> Has anyone any experience supporting a mom whose 7 mo. old cannot
> tolerate long chain fatty acids  (injured thoracid duct)?  She
> evidently read about success centrifuging off the fat and feeding
> just skim milk to the child.  As a LLL she has contacted me simply
> for advice keeping up her milk supply.  It does not sound as if
> she's working with a LC.  She has ordered a centrifuge for arrival
> later today.  The child is hospitalized.
>
> Has anyone any thoughts to offer?  How, for example, will the child
> receive sufficient fat for growth if fed only skim milk?  Is this a
> concern?  I will encourage her to discuss this plan with her
> pediatrician if she hasn't already.  But I am curious myself about
> this plan and whether anyone has any practical experience with this
> condition.

Trish Whitehouse is the resource person you're looking for. Trish
pumped milk for her son, Bobby, for over five years, as he was born
with a very severe heart defect. When Bobby first had a chylothorax,
Trish and her partner learnt to centrifuge her milk at a time when
doctors were insisting he be on prescription artificial milk due to
the fat content of MM. Mother's milk saved Bobby's life when he was
septic - more than once. The story was published in Leaven and in a
case report in the Annals of Thoracic Surgery.

"Bobby's Dairy"
http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAprMay03p27.html

Bobby's Dairy - an update
http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDecJan06p132.html

"Octreotide and low-fat breast milk in postoperative chylothorax"
Ann Thorac Surg 2004;77:2215-2217
http://ats.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/77/6/2215

Lara Hopkins