From:
Anne Nans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:27:33 -0400
In vitro fertilization is done for many reasons.  40% of the time it is due
to male factor infertility--certainly these moms are not at risk for poor
milk supply, 40% of the time it is due to female factors--endometriosis,
polycystic ovary disease, hormonal insufficiencies, etc.  The othe 20% of
cases are unexplained.  If a milk insufficiency is noted then it might be
interesting to assess the reproductive history for hormonal problems, but I
would never assume that because the sperm and egg couldn't get it together
on their own that there will be a problem with lactation.  It is quite harsh
to say that women who have had IVF are not meant to reproduce and,
therefore, not meant to make abundant milk.  It is like saying that one with
cancer was meant to die without treatment, or that someone should walk
around with blurry vision vs. getting glasses and seeing properly.  If there
is a problem with normal human functioning, then most of us should agree
that seeking treatment or a cure is optimal.  I have heard that there might
be a connection with polycystic ovary disease and milk insufficiency, but
don't if this is evidence based.  On a personal note I must add that being
an ivf mom, I know many ivf moms and the majority of us breastfed just fine.
When the ivf baby is a singleton, often this conception history doesn't get
passed on in the hospital medical record and I think this is good.

Anne Nans, RN, IBCLC
Fredericksburg, VA
Mom to Caleb, Amy and Riley 12/17/98 and Seth 12/10/00