From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:26:17 EST
Not contraindicated to breastfeeding, right?  As Catherine said, the baby's
already exposed to mother.  I had a case where the baby's throat area was raw
and tender (so we presumed), so baby was refusing the breast until healing took
place.  Mom used a breastpump to maintain her milk supply while baby was on
this nursng strike, and at this point she called me for advice on how to get
baby back on the breast.  Baby was approximately 12 or 13 months old at the
time.  With our guidelines of the usual mother and baby get into the bath, not
forceful, hanging out around mom with shirt off, etc., baby took to the breast
again.

Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL