From:
"A. Bon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:09:00 +0100
I agree with those who say that some babies are just hungry and need ABM
when they are not breastfed, and that ABM donations may be necessary.

I also agree with Heather that it should be in line with the WHO code.

Unicef of course has meet this dilemma too. Unicef has developed a protocol
for emergency situations, that handles this issue. It says that ABM
donations can be done, only when some guidelines are followed. These
guidelines include among others:

*anonimous donations, this means, blind packages. No brand names, etcetera.
*good instrcutiosn on the use of ABM;
*it should be accompagnied with a strong bf support program.

this program has been done in Bosnia, during the war, and it resulted in
enormous increased bf rates.

Annelies Bon
bf counsellor of the Dutch bf organisation VBN