From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:34:29 -0400
Since I am a family doctor, and not exclusively a lactation support person,
I frequently see moms and babies who are not breastfeeding, or who wean very
early.  Recently, I have had several moms who weaned in the first few weeks
whose babies went on to develop formula intolerance, or bad constipation, or
some other symptom that seems to be directly related to having stopped
breastfeeding.  I am trying to come up with ways to help mom realize that
these issues could have been avoided by continuing breastfeeding.  While I
in general don't worry a lot about making moms "guilty" by promoting
breastfeeding, I don't want to browbeat my patients either.  Before moms
have weaned totally, I don't hold back from mentioning the risks of formula,
especially if mom asks my opinion before weaning (although most just show up
at 2 weeks having already weaned and having new problems.)  I do mention the
possibility of relactating also, and usually just get a blank stare!
Sometimes I have a heck of time not saying "I told you so."  A recent mom
called me twice to ask if I thought formula would make her baby less cranky
and sleep better (this baby was really displaying very normal newborn
behavior.)  Despite my assurances that it was not the breastfeeding, she
weaned to formula cold turkey.  She then called several times to say that
baby was even crankier and still not sleeping, and wanted to know when the
formula would "work" and make the baby feel better!
Once weaning has happened, what might be some good ways to nicely mention
the downside of weaning to formula, perhaps to encourage breastfeeding of a
subsequent child?

Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 4, including nursling Caroline Rose born 5/31/03