Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2016 18:58:01 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
These are a few simple things that I've known to be helpful, often doing more than one at the same time.

I don't have any references, just experience, but it sounds to me like this mom and baby really need something, now, to get over this hump, so I'm just throwing out some ideas to be taken or left.  One good thing about skin problems is that it doesn't usually take a long time to see an improvement, if something is going to help

Rinse the area with warm water after every feeding and either air dry or pat dry with a scrupulously clean, cotton, cloth that has been washed and rinsed carefully to remove any detergent, chemicals, or fragrance.

Keep the area covered by the same kind of cloth described above .  Do not reuse the same surface after it has been used.  Can use the other side, though.  Ten inch squares of cotton diaper flannel work well, folded twice and used as nursing pads.  Don't use disposable pads directly against the breast.

Make every effort to keep the skin dry between feeds.

If the baby is getting anything besides milk from the breast, i.e. formula supplement, vitamin drops, etc. be sure that there is none of it is present in the mouth at breastfeeds.

Keep the skin as relaxed as possible, to maintain circulation.   Avoid cold  air, especially if damp, and also avoid any tactile stimulation, by keeping a breasts well covered.

Be sure that bras do not bind, at all and have plenty of space for padding to be worn without making the cups tight.

Be extra careful with nutrition, including probiotics, to promote healing, in general.  Taking some extra fat soluble vitamin supplements is sometimes helpful.

I also think a little hydrocortizone cream might be worth a try, applied right after a feeding so it can stay on the skin for a while before it has to be rinsed off.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2