From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 15:58:11 +0100
I would like to wish you all a meaningful observance of International
Women's Day.  "International Women's Day (8 March) is an occasion marked by
women's groups around the world. This date is also commemorated at the
United Nations and is designated in many countries as a national holiday.
When women on all continents, often divided by national boundaries and by
ethnic, linguistic, cultural, economic and political differences, come
together to celebrate their Day, they can look back to a tradition that
represents at least nine decades of struggle for equality, justice, peace
and development."
http://www.un.org/ecosocdev/geninfo/women/womday97.htm

This page gave me a bit more understanding of why the US never has really
taken off on celebrating this day.  We should revive it, IMO.
Rachel in Norway, where there are activities in virtually every community in
connection with this day