Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 07:02:03 EST
In a message dated 12/30/00 3:58:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< OK, lactnetters, what is the general consensus (or is there one?) on what
 sort of expressing to use in the immediate postpartum period for a mother of
 a pretermer. Today I was at work and noticed a woman who had delivered a
 32weeker by emergency C/Section (severe preeclampsia) was set up with an
 electric pump, and this was her second try at expressing. When I asked, that
 was what she had used the first time as well.
 Thoughts?
 Kirsten

Kristen,
I like teaching hand expression to start with because there isn't so much
lost in the pump mechanism, and it is skin to skin stimulation, and gets mom
in touch (literally) with her body.

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC
The Lactation Connection
private practice, So. Calif, USA