From:
Karen Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 10:18:58 -0400
Co-sleeping... This was the only way I could keep on going .  Being a Navy
nurse I could easily receive  a call in the middle of the nite to come on
in...  I also noticed it was not a daily habit but I sometimes needed a stiff
drink of caffiene to continue my march.  I did not have a positive pumping
experience due to a lack of knowledge of pumping and how to contact a LC in
86.  The LLL meeting I went to had phamplets on how to work and pump but the
ladies I met that particular day did not understand that I had a 2yr contract
that I signed on with the Navy.  Again I was in Guam, and I think we had the
only electric pump on the island & of course no manual.  Silly me being on
duty for the next remaining 12 hours out of 30 without being able to nurse my
infant.  I turned on that machine & let her rip.  RELIEF!  until I woke up
the next day with a
cracked nipple .  God protected me despite that I could grin and bear for
12-15 hours without pumping, no mastitsis or diminishing milk supply.  My
kids were reverse cycled eaters or that caffiene just got to them.  I
understand the SIDS phamplets do not support the co -sleeping position but it
is the only thing, I think that got me thru my nursing days.  I touch about
80 women out of 189 births, 46% are active duty military women and the other
54% women are military spouses.  I teach the side-lying position just to see
if they can incorporate this into a nap after work, weekends and sleep on the
job (nursing).  I also tell them there are many ways to go back to work
breastfeeding & to write many scripts before returning to work .  I have
discovered many injustices with women returning back to work and looking for
some support (ammunition...really).
We have again these phamplets and lo and behold the document has been updated
in 1990.  It states a woman can breastfeed on her lunch and breaks and breast
pumps may be provided ( this I have to go on a mission for) ,  women are not
assigned to ships for 4 months after birth.  Well, we do have phamplets but
 the problem is if you have not had the adventure of military motherhood,
people forget how to model and mentor other women to a friendlier and finer
 management of military career and motherhood .  These phamplets do not get
distributed to educate employees and employers so to speak.
I will let you know how it is coming.  Yes, my kids' mother wears  combat
boots for 6 months in Zagreb, Croatia (Former Republic of Yugoslavia)
9/94-2/95 with the U.N. Peace Keepers.  Four months to retirement (only from
the Navy).
Don't you dislike these lurkers who get on their soapboxes.  A sense of humor
is critical.
Latch on to Life...karen