From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:20:32 +0200
Deanne, thanks for your post on combining with hospitalized premies.  Do you
know if the ratio of human milk to formula makes a difference?  And do you
know whether this would be an issue for term babies, or older babies getting
combined feeding?  I don't know myself, but I am concerned about conserving
breast milk to make sure the baby gets all of what's available.

How about presenting it like this to mothers of older babies?

The health promoting qualities of breastmilk will help your baby the most if
you give the breastmilk alone, followed by formula alone as needed (for
growth, satiety, whatever).  Baby's gut will be better equipped to deal with
the formula if it is primed with breastmilk.

Also, breastmilk alone can be put back in the fridge if baby doesn't drink
it all in one sitting.  If it is mixed with formula, this is not advisable,
because formula lacks the anti-bacterial qualities of breastmilk and the
entire feed can be contaminated.  You can always mix more formula, but you
can't always obtain more breastmilk as easily. (Here I'm assuming that there
may be supply problems underlying the need to combine.)

What do you think?
Rachel Myr
Norway